Monday, July 12, 2010

Wrapping up week 1



Playing Forecastle, easily the craziest thing ever.

So we've been on the road now for about a week, and I have to say I'm having the greatest time of my life. The crowd's have been unreal. I haven't actually ever seen crowd surfing, but every night, we were treated to the most rowdy, incredible audiences I've ever seen.

Grand Rapids was unreal. The crowd was going bonkers the whole show, apparently a couple guys got thrown out for pissing on people. I mean listen, I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying that if that's not rock n' roll, I don't know what is. It's electric, the feeling that comes from playing a show like that. A fan that came out that night had come to the show like a week after having brain surgery, it was amazing. From Grand Rapids we came back into Ohio for another night in Columbus, with yet another crazy crowd. It was wild!

Our dressing room in Columbus, Ohio

From there we left for Louisville for the Forecastle festival. I'd never been to Louisville
before, and I have to say it's easily one of the prettiest cities I've ever been to. Our hotel was
super cool, it was over a museum with a lot of cool art in the lobby (which at first was really
confusing, imagine you're jumping off a bus at three in the morning to get into your hotel and
instead you walk into an art museum). My favorite part was these guys:

There were a bunch of these little plastic penguins throughout the hotel, and you just moved them around wherever you wanted. Jeff ended up taking one into his room at one point. I thought it was hilarious. We also got a chance to go by the Louisville slugger museum and stand in front of the world's tallest baseball bat.


After meandering around Louisville for the day, we went to the waterfront for the festival. I was getting super antsy, this being my first festival and all. We got there in time to watch DEVO and catch a bit of We Were Promised Jetpacks before we had to come back to our dressing room. It was our Front of House guy's birthday, so we all had a cake and sang for him before the show, which calmed my nerves for a second. Then it was time to head out.


It was unreal, there were so many people you couldn't even see them all. It was a bit of a
weird adjustment because with no sound check, you don't know what you're going to hear when
you get out there. Between the lights, the shower of glowsticks and the paper lanterns flying in the air during
Tonight, Tonight, It was the most crazy, vivid moment of my entire musical life. We had an amazing
time, I was so amped up after the show I could barely sleep.

Now we're into our second week, I'll have more pics/audio from the tour soon!

-Mike

12 comments:

  1. Nice, I hope you guys come to Brazil someday! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having an incredible experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing incredible, man. Columbus was the best show I've ever been to in my life. I'm glad you're enjoying this so much, because you are finally getting out there and silencing all of the doubt, one city at a time. You bring such a great new energy to the songs...the whole band sounds rejuvenated. Have fun, I'm trying to arrange to make it to at least one more show on this tour. Keep the blog coming dude, we all really appreciate the updates!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at the Grand Rapids show and it was great. We've been waiting for SP to come back to GR since '96! It was my 6th Pumpkins show and I can say it was the rowdiest SP crowd I've been in. You are doing a great job Mike! I say that as a long-time SP fan and a fellow drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great update! Man, I can't imagine the feeling of seeing an ocean of people out there!

    Amazing performances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update... keep em coming! I was front and center at the Grand Rapids show and was blown away by the show. You guys are EARNING those crazy audiences. After seeing you rip through "As Rome Burns", "United States", "Gossamer" and everything else, the doubt is gone from my mind... keep kicking ass, man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We Were Promised Jetpacks are a fantastic band!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been a Smashing Pumpkins fan since 95'. They are by far and away my favorite band in the world. I have loved them every step of the way, and every album has a special place in my heart. I think it's great that you're keeping this blog and sharing your experience with everyone. You are living a dream that so many could only... well... dream of. Soak it up. Appreciate every second of it, and know that as a long time Smashing Pumpkins fan I welcome you with open arms to the SP family. I am extremely impressed with you. Just go out there, have fun, and rock your fucking ass off. YOU are the drummer for The Smashing Pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at the Louisville show and Knoxville too. They were both awesome! The paper lanterns floating above Forecastle added a beautiful magical touch to the night. I loved it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's the reasoning behind using Jimmy's Signature snare? Don't you want to find your own style. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you liked it in Grand Rapids! Come back around again sometime, I'd love to see you guys again!
    I didn't see the guys pissing on people, but I know there were a couple of assholes that pushed their way to the front when you came on. Other than that, everything was amazing, and I was thoroughly impressed. Please come back again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was front and center at the labatterie
    show and was blown away by the show.

    ReplyDelete